I wrote this biodegradable wattles specification for a riverbank habitat restoration project.
I wrote the last three sentences for this particular project, which has a 3:1 slope above an intertidal river. We will place 12 inches of compost before installing native plants this winter; without the wattles, wet compost will slide to the base of the slope.
- Wattles shall consist of 100% biodegradable straw, coir, excelsior or compost encased in 100% biodegradable fabric or mesh.
- Wattles shall be a minimum of 8 inches in diameter free of cuts tears and damage.
- The installation of straw wattles shall be per WSDOT Standard Plan I-30.30-00 “Wattle Installation on Slope”.
- Wattles shall be staked in place using wooden stakes a minimum of 16 inches long. The stakes shall be cut flush with the top of the wattles.
- Wattles shall be installed on the Site 25 slope above +12 elevation.
- Wattles shall be installed in two rows across the slope parallel to the 12 + elevation.
- Rows shall be approximately 7 feet above the +12 elevation and 7 feet below the top of the slope.